Thursday, October 12, 2017

Three Armies 25/28mm Spanish Napoleonic Infantry figures - price increase October 14



Three Armies figures, gorgeously painted by an expert painter (Francesco), from the Three Armies Facebook page and website. I have no delusions the ones I paint are going to come out looking anywhere near this good, but one can dream!

Three Armies is a relatively new entry into the ranks of 25/28mm manufacturers. I have had my eye on their Spanish infantry since plans for them were first announced last year. They have special discounts for 24 figure (25 in the case of the Spanish Line) Battalion packs. There will be a price increase and an end to introductory free shipping in a few days:

It is with regret that we have to announce the introductory offer on our packs will end and our prices will rise on 14th October 2017. Basic 6 figure. packs will go from £6 to £7. Command Packs from £4 to £5 and Battalion packs will rise from £20 to £25. Our free postage offer will also end on this date. You still have plenty of time. Better still you can come and see the ranges at Derby Wargames show We will be with Emperor Toad stand.

That announcement prompted me to finally place an order on October 1st; it was dispatched from the UK on 10/3, and arrived here in the Eastern US on 10/6. Wow!

Each of the Spanish "2nd Battalion" Battalion Packs contains 25 figures; 2 standard bearers, 1 one officer, 1 drummer, and 22 fusiliers, in about 5 different pose variations. Since I use 18 figure units, I ordered 3 Battalion packs plus one set of three command figures, enough to form 4 units with some figures left over. . All told that came to 64 pounds, which is a mere $89 in the post Brexit era. As the order was over 50 pounds, the shipping was free. Hooray! That comes to less than $1.15 per figure - a great price for these very handsome figures by a veteran sculptor.


Drummer, Standard bearer (wire poles supplied), and Officer. These are very, very nicely sculpted figures, seen as they came out of the bag - no flash removed, no bayonets straightened etc. 


Some Fusiliers. One very minor criticism I would have is that the bases are very small and thin; they will need a bit of special attention when gluing them to my painting sticks and bases in order to stay upright while the white glue dries. 


Some different poses for the Fusiliers

Some free samples of the Spanish Grenadiers in their magnificent bearskins were also included. 


The clamshell packaging was easy to open... may be too easy!  Two of the packs had opened in transit across the Atlantic, and spilled into the padded mailer bag, which also had a good sized hole in it from rough handling. I was afraid that some of the figures might have gone AWOL, but they were all present and accounted for.. Sir! I'd suggest maybe some tape reinforcement of the packaging and maybe an internal layer of bubble wrap or even plain plastic wrap to prevent deserters!



Conclusion: Highly recommended; if you are thinking of ordering some Three Armies Figures, why not do it in the next 2 days and save?!

14 comments:

  1. Great looking figures and a very good price indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the look of these, and wish I had heard about them when I was doing my Spanish. I do like a variety of poses, even if it is just a slight head turn here or there. The price seems very reasonable as well. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Perrys' latest Spanish offering, as they look very nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Spaniards at bargain prices! Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking Spanish at a very good price!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out their website, they also have 1806 Prussians, French, British and a few more, not just Spanish. The same prices apply to all... until Saturday!

      Delete
    2. Your are a good salesman, Peter. I am in for a few Spanish battalions.

      Delete
    3. Very good, Jon. I doubt you will be disappointed with the price, the quality, or the service!

      Delete
  5. What a price, excellent...and this first picture is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even their prices after today are pretty good, and their shipping rates are better than most. Free is always better, though!

      Delete
  6. They are nice figures, I wish all my figures were painted by Francesco!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an "Amen, Brother!" to having Francesco paint my figures... but definitely a case of insufficient funds there! :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely - those bent bayonets give me the shits though. I am terrified of breaking them when straightening them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall having any real issues with that myself.

      Delete